|REPORTS TO: Head of Accounting Services
CONTRACT TYPE: Maternity Cover (12 months fixed-term)
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Finance Assistant to join the Finance team at The Royal Academy of Arts. We are one of the UK’s leading arts institutions, famous for our world class exhibitions including Van Gogh, Sensing Spaces and David Hockney.
In this vital, hands on role you will be solely responsible for the sales ledger of 4 companies including both our charitable and commercial trading arms. You will raise invoices and ensure the collection of a variety of debts, produce reports, reconcile debtor accounts and resolve internal and external queries and issues. You will also support transaction processing across the Finance team; preparing, posting and reconciling transactions, as well as assisting on projects.
You should have experience of sales ledger and transaction processing and credit control along with sound knowledge and understanding of book keeping principles and Microsoft packages, specifically Excel (experience of SUN would be an advantage).
You will be extremely well organised and a strong administrator. Assertive, with a can do attitude, you must be confident in chasing late payments. You will have first class communication skills and be able to build strong and cooperative working relationships.
- To manage the Sales Ledger and credit control for four Royal Academy of Arts’ companies including the Academy’s charitable and commercial trading arms.
- To ensure the timely collection of debts through effective credit control.
- To assist with journal postings and reconciliations.
To provide additional support to the Head of Accounting Services (HOAS); including supporting transaction processing projects to improve efficiency and control of sales reporting across both cash and invoiced sales.
- Ensure all sales invoice requests and credit notes are raised and posted to the sales ledger promptly.
- Check authorisation, coding and VAT on all invoice requests is correct and new customer requests are completed correctly.
- Ensure the timely collection of due debts. Contact customers via telephone, mail and e-mail to collect due debts and minimise overall total of overdue debts.
- Maintain a clear record of all contacts and progress made with customers; ensure that promises of payment are promptly followed up.
- Closely monitor and manage the aged debtor listings.
- Attend monthly (fortnightly, if required) departmental debtor collection meetings, report on current situation and discuss specific and/or long-standing issues.
- Record and code customer bank receipts (BACS allocations) to be forwarded to the Cash Office on a weekly basis for posting.
- Raise and dispatch monthly statements, reminders and dunning letters in Collect (SUN module) to all outstanding debtors.
- Answer and resolve internal and external sales ledger queries.
- Ensure sales invoice and credit note filing is kept up-to-date.
- Undertake regular reconciliations of debtor accounts.
- Prepare and post the weekly online cash expense journal and monthly credit card journals.
- Prepare information for inclusion in a quarterly dashboard report of Key Performance Indicators, including completing Monthly Review Schedules (MRS).
- Support the HOAS with the year-end audit, preparing relevant balance sheet schedules and assisting with external audit queries.
- Support transaction processing projects to improve efficiency and control of sales reporting across both cash and invoiced sales.
- Undertake any other duty, which may reasonably be allocated by the HOAS or other senior officer.
- Comply with all relevant Health & Safety policies, procedures and regulations and takes appropriate and reasonable care for the safety of colleagues and visitors to the Academy.