Art. World. Jobs.
This vacancy is no longer available
Please note that this vacancy has expired and you can no longer apply.
The Business Director (BD) reports directly to the Regional Managing Director, (RMD) of Post War & Contemporary Art (PWC) working closely with the Head of Department London (HOD) the specialist ‘heads of channels’ (SHOC) and specialists, and is responsible for the financial, strategic and administrative integrity of PWC auctions, e commerce and Private Sales for London. The BD is responsible for strategy follow-ups, people management and the financial integrity of the department and has authority in making decisions as outlined below.
BUSINESS STRATEGY/ PLANNING
• Working with the HOD to provide strategic leadership, guidance and direction on a day to day basis for auction, private sales and ecommerce channels; developing a business plan for the department that maximizes its strengths and establishes dominant profitability and market share
• Participate in, and lead where appropriate, strategic initiatives for the London departments, as directed by the RMD
• Increase profitability and revenues as per strategy agreed with HOD, Head of Europe (HOE) , RMD and SHOC’s
• Manage profit margins by controlling costs
• Assist in the development and implementation of a 3-5 year objectives and business plan for the department (within the parameters of corporate objectives)
• Identify and develop and implement improvements to operational systems for the department
• Work with Marketing, Client Strategy & Object intelligence to agree priorities and plan activity in line with the business plan
LEADERSHIP AND PEOPLE MANAGEMENT
• In partnership with HOD directly manage and develop the specialist team in London
• Lead, manage and communicate any cultural or management changes
• Establish appropriate performance review structures to ensure Specialist and support staff have clear targets, objectives and development plans in London
• Ensure that guidelines for sales compositions and deadlines are maintained
• Oversee management of department consultants (a.k.a. Independent Contractors)
FINANCIAL AND COMMERCIAL MANAGEMENT
• Work with the Finance Partner, HOD , HOE and RMD establishing budgets including annual auction, online and private sales, travel and expense budgets, staffing requirements, and partner with Marketing Director and UK regional MD on marketing plans and top client engagement
• Ensure that the Business Manager (BM) endorses consignment agreements and report any requests to digress from the standard terms and conditions of sale
• Work with Finance Business Partner to ensure provision of adequate financial information to the RMD & HOD
• Ensure BM provides statistics for each sale to enable adequate and accurate debriefings post sale including pre/post sale statistics of competitors
• Oversee approval of Private Sales Business Manager Deals (within agreed template) and oversee the internal and external timeline demands for the transaction without compromising the deal’s integrity
• Analyze strategic research and market data to determine the contributions that departments can make to Christie’s, working with HOD to develop market strategies.
• Closely monitor auction and Ecommerce pre-sale forecasts, as well as private sales transactions with weekly updates from BM’s
• Support RMD with the production of auction season reports
• Manage deals, proposals and pitches for business as appropriate
• Analyze deal contracts for due diligence and completeness, raising key questions and applying policies and best practices, liaising with the Legal team when needed
• Ensure all stakeholders are briefed at each stage of the deal
• Oversee and manage disputes, legal challenges & issues and insurance claims for London dept
• A Master’s Degree in Business Management or equivalent field; or an undergraduate degree with a minimum of 8 years of related work experience
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from colleagues and clients
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
• Strong and proven strategic vision and commercial awareness
• Strong negotiation skill
• Record of successful implementation of change
• Strong management expertise
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Financial acumen and experience of formulating and implementing budgets internationally
• Marketing skills
• Understanding of the International Art Business strongly preferred
• Appreciation/understanding of Art an advantage
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Ability to create and analyze Excel spreadsheets, bar graphs, reports)
• Ability to learn Christie’s systems including Siebel, Property System, intranet and website.
Art. World. Jobs.