Art. World. Jobs.
Our client, an international gallery with spaces in Asia and London, is looking for a motivated and committed Gallery Assistant with experience in the art industry, preferably in a commercial art gallery. This opportunity is for those looking to gain valuable experience and who are serious about a career in the arts.
The gallery assistant will provide admin, press, website and image support to staff, ensure general maintenance of the gallery space and maintain a warm, welcoming atmosphere in the gallery. A knowledge of East Asian art is preferred, but not required.
Aiming to foster a cross–cultural dialogue between Eastern and Western contemporary art, the gallery prides itself on curating and exhibiting media and interdisciplinary artistic practices. Representing emerging and established video, performance and new media artists, our client supports their development and enhances their visibility in present–day visual culture here and in Asia.
– Maintaining gallery environment
– General administrative tasks
– Maintaining gallery database
– Assisting with exhibition preparation
– May assist with installation and de-installation of exhibitions
– Liaising with artists and press where necessary
– Invigilation of gallery and visitor engagement
– Updating gallery website content
– Social media management
– Involvement in marketing & promotion of the gallery
– Assist the Manager and Director with general tasks as necessary
– Responsible for archiving all press relating to gallery artists and exhibitions and updating press packs and artist portfolios.
– Updating the library and inventory
– Degree in art history or a related field
– Experience working in private galleries or public institutions or museums
– Excellent organisational skills
– Excellent spoken and written English and communication skills
– Knowledge of database management systems
– Ability to work in a team
– Meticulous attention to detail
– Strong inter-personal skills and confidence dealing with the public
– Confident using online social media
– Proficiency in IT, particularly Microsoft Office and Mac OS software
– Proactive ability to deal with multiple projects at same time
– Ability to work Tuesday–Saturday and evenings during programmed events.
– Knowledge of Korean language, website maintenance, video editing, and Adobe Suite, is preferable.
This position is full time, Tuesday – Saturday, with alternate Saturdays negotiable. Client is looking to hire as soon as possible.
*Please note: The Gallery is currently under renovation and will open in early 2019. Therefore, temporarily the Gallery office is located at the Director’s house in SW London. Until the opening of the gallery, working hours will be Monday – Friday, 9-6.
Art. World. Jobs.