Art. World. Jobs.
Our client, an international gallery of blue chip and ancient art, is looking for a highly organised and interdisciplinary Associate Director to join the business at a pivotal moment.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the administration and coordination of a commercial art gallery, as well as a confident demeanour and an intellectual approach to working with art. This role is perhaps best suited to a flexible, driven, relatively junior art professional who is prepared to take on a big challenge. Based in Mayfair, the position will work closely alongside the existing Associate Director to radically re-cohere, reignite, and in many respects re-imagine the gallery’s function. The gallery is currently undergoing a major change in internal processes and the new Associate Director will join the small, family like, team to help design and implement these changes.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the new Associate Director will oversee and implement budgeting, payroll, project management, logistics, and other operations in line with legal and internal specifications. The operational aspects of the role will include the registration of artworks and artefacts, the management of exhibition projects, and the creation of an offsite storage facility. Working on all facets of the business, they will also be expected to take on some research and curatorial responsibilities, and to have a critical and intellectual approach to both contemporary and ancient art.
The ideal candidate must be prepared to hit the ground running, willing to learn quickly, deal with frustrations effectively, and work pragmatically as a small team to redevelop the business. Working across the business the team will become intimately involved with every aspect of the gallery whilst simultaneously helping to invent, implement and drive a rejuvenated strategic direction.
The ideal candidate will be
• Experienced in working in a Blue Chip, preferably international, art gallery in a managerial or operational capacity.
• Exceptionally academically qualified, to at least MA level, and capable of conducting research, critical writing, and curatorial duties.
• Interested in ancient art and the multiplicity of ways it might operate in our contemporary cultural contexts
• Comfortable working in one on one sales with a variety of clients, with strong negotiation and communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships with clients and members of the team.
• Aware of key processes and external frameworks, with experience of complying with jurisdictional requirements including export licensing, insurance, pension schemes, AMLD5, etc.
• Experienced in complex art logistics, preferably with high value and archaeological items.
• Able to handle and install artworks – the London team has a very pragmatic ethos.
• Familiar with Artlogic
• Highly technically literate in Adobe Suite, MS Office, gmail, etc.
• Demonstrably critically engaged with the contemporary art world, with an interest in both contemporary and culturally historic discourse. A history of published criticism, curation, or artistic practice is preferred.
• Outspoken, confident, and able to work well under pressure. Working as part of a small team, the candidate must be an effective communicator in all situations .
• Fluent in written and spoken English, with any additional languages highly desirable.
• Highly motivated and with a creative flair.
• Prepared to undergo background checks.
This position is looking to hire immediately.
Based in Mayfair, 5 days a week.
Salary – £32,500 plus commission on all sales
Art. World. Jobs.