|About the Royal Academy of Arts
The Royal Academy of Arts is one of the Uk’s foremost arts institutions and our vision is to be clear, strong voice for art and artists. We are an innovative, forward-looking and commercially astute organisation that receives no government operating subsidy. It is a particularly exciting time in our history. We recently embarked upon a series of major investments that have transformed our physical and digital infrastructure and our public offer; delivered in time for our 250th anniversary last year. An ambitious ‘Masterplan’ by David Chipperfield RA redeveloped our 2.5-acre campus in Mayfair, uniting our two buildings and providing refurbished galleries for the display of art and architecture, a state-of-the-art auditorium, a new learning centre and a dedicated Collections gallery in Burlington Gardens, and enabling greater public visibility of the art school at the heart of the Academy.
About this position
Reporting to the Senior Financial Analyst within the Decision Support team. This role will be responsible for supporting all aspects of planning, budgeting, performance and financial reporting for Commercial Operations and Visitor & Friends Experience at the RA. It’s an exciting time to take on this role, having opened our newly expanded campus in the heart of Mayfair only a year ago our objective is to significantly improve customer experience and enable sustainability through growth; this role will be key in supporting this vision.
You will be a part-qualified accountant (undertaking further studies towards the CIMA Professional Qualification) with some experience of managing and working in complex, multi-stakeholder projects and have advanced Excel and modelling skills. An energetic and ambitious self-starter, you will have the ability to plan, manage and control workloads to tight deadlines. You will have a confident, inquisitive manner and some business partnering experience, working closely with, and presenting to, senior management and non-finance staff.
What benefits do we offer?
- We offer a very generous pension scheme, contributing up to 10% of your salary into a defined contribution scheme.
- In addition to 25 days’ holiday and 8 public holidays each year, we close between Christmas Eve and New Year, allowing staff further paid leave.
- We encourage staff to attend free History of Art and life drawing classes on site. We also have a staff choir, staff gallery and running and craft clubs. Best of all, we have reciprocal agreements with many leading museums and art galleries in London and New York, enabling you to enter for free with your staff pass.
- Financial support towards your CIMA Professional Qualification (exams and study costs)
How to apply
You will find further details about this position in the Current Vacancies and How to Apply section of the Careers page on our website http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/careers
Closing date for applications: 23 June 2019 (midnight)
Interviews to be held: w/c 24 June 2019
Job Title: Junior Finance Analyst
Reports to: Senior Financial Analyst
Under the general direction and management of the Senior Financial Analyst:
- Business partnering with key stakeholders of one of our Pillars (Commercial Operations and Publishing) and any other designated areas, when required. Together with the Senior Financial Analyst, develop excellent working relationships and support on providing insight, advice and financial modelling to help on decision making processes.
- Prepare timely, relevant and accurate management reporting to enable performance evaluation, budgetary control and promote accountability.
- Support ongoing improvements in financial reporting and data analysis, month end close processes, budgeting, forecasting & medium-term planning.
- Support business partnering and regularly meet and liaise with main stakeholders to ensure appropriate monthly reporting, budgeting and forecasting and to provide ad hoc support to assist with commercial decision making.
- Produce timely and accurate monthly management accounts for designated areas, including analysis and posting of month-end journals for accruals, prepayments, stock and deferred income/costs.
- Work closely with key stakeholders to ensure that all income and costs are captured and reported accurately in line with accounting standards.
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations for your areas and report any discrepancies to the Accounting Services team or to key stakeholders, if required.
- Prepare variance financial analysis and commentary for all owned areas for its inclusion in the monthly Management Information Pack (MIP). Track and report on key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Lead key stakeholders through the annual budget and quarterly forecasting processes, analysing & challenging submissions to ensure accuracy of financial projections.
- Annual update of the Medium-Term Plan (MTP), developing models for new business initiatives, challenging financial plans and assumptions and providing scenario analysis to help understand risks & opportunities in achieving targets.
- Keep the Senior Financial Analyst regularly informed of any changes, risks or activities impacting on financial performance within designated departments.
- Ensure that correct authorisation procedures are followed for invoices and expenses and assist with coding of invoices liaising with the Accounting Services team.
- Liaise with external auditors and prepare information as required.
- Undertake any other duty, which may reasonably be allocated by the Deputy Director of Finance (Decision Support), Senior Financial Analyst or other Senior Officer.
- Ensure that Health and Safety policies, procedures and regulations are known, understood and complied with by yourself, your team (if applicable) and any contractors, suppliers and all others who work with the team.
- Part-qualified Accountant (already passed CIMA Certificate in Business accounting) currently undertaking further studies towards CIMA Professional Qualification.
- Financial systems experience – preferably SUN Accounts (incl. Vision). Experience of iPOS and/or Navision would also be an advantage.
- Excellent IT skills; advanced user of Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to plan, manage and control complex workloads to tight deadlines. Project accounting experience preferred.
- Well organised with a methodical and accurate approach to work.
- Ability to advise non-specialist colleagues and non-financial managers on technical financial matters or to seek advice from the Senior Financial Analyst.
- Excellent interpersonal and strong written communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- An active approach to improving processes and developing the use of systems.
- Interest and/or experience in management accounting and control procedures.
- Interest and/or experience of working in a complex organisation with multiple internal stakeholders.
- Assertive, persuasive, rigorous and challenging in approach.
- Adaptable and resilient.
- Fair, open and objective.
- Flexible and co-operative approach to work as a team member initiating and building on ideas, prepared to work to deadlines and to see projects through to completion.
- An interest in the visual arts and a commitment to the aims and objectives of the RA.