Art. World. Jobs.
PRIMARY FUNCTION/POSITION SUMMARY:
The Senior Specialist will be responsible for business-getting, valuing property, leading the cataloguing process, sale presentation and marketing, developing and maintaining clients, and mentoring junior staff, as well as serving as an active representative of Christie’s, working closely with the Head of Department (HoD) and Head of Group.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Duties include but are not limited to the following):
• Contribute significantly to auction and private sale totals.
• Develop business in specific regions, leading to consignments.
• Identify and maintain relationships with all client categories (collectors, dealers, institutions), and demonstrate the ability to work with major clients in the sale of high value property.
• Manage own clients to transform contact into sales.
• Write and prepare catalogue descriptions and maintain high levels of cataloguing in the department.
• In conjunction with HoD and other senior managers, work with the Valuations department on appraisals as a means of generating new long-term business opportunities and reconnecting with inactive clients.
• Maintain and grow Christie’s presence in the Islamic and Indian Art field by actively participating in events, conferences, and other functions to represent the company.
• Participate in promoting upcoming auctions through targeted marketing efforts.
• Identify and develop new sales categories or market opportunities.
• Respond efficiently to incoming written, phone and photo inquires to determine sale potential.
• Participate in departmental sessions to determine value, condition, and marketability of property.
• Work on catalogue production and layout.
• Coordinate pre-sale exhibition set-up with other department members
• Work with buyers during sale week, including weekend exhibitions, to market and sell the sale.
• Participate in Telephone Bidding with clients during the auction.
• Track and communicate competitors’ auctions and activities.
• Other duties as assigned by Manager.
• Bachelor’s or higher degree or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the field, either at auction or in the trade.
• Proven ability to develop relationships with the major collectors, dealers, and institutions in the field.
• Excellent writing skills, and ability to combine a scholarly understanding of the material with a commercial sense of marketing and promoting value.
• Familiarity with a variety of valuation purposes: current auction estimate, insurance, and probate.
• Ability to work on tight auction deadlines, balancing photography, cataloguing, sale organization, marketing and promotional details.
• Experience working with a team on projects of all sizes, long- and short-term.
• Fluency or near-fluency in at least one of Arabic, Persian or Turkish in addition to English
• Excellent knowledge of E-mail, Spreadsheet, Word Processing and Presentation software (Microsoft Office preferred).
• Ability to learn Christie’s systems including COS (client system), JDE (cataloguing system), intranet and website.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including superior written and spoken communication.
• Superior client service skills.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritise a variety of concurrent projects.
• Strong follow-up skills with attention to detail.
• Ability to work within a team environment.
Art. World. Jobs.