Art. World. Jobs.
Interviews will take place w/c 25 March.
Could you be the voice of one of London’s most prestigious arts organisations? We’re
looking for a talented digital content creator or journalist to inject our social media
channels with warmth, wit, inspiration and rigour. You’ll use your commercial knowledge
to connect with audiences across the world as you pursue a compelling charitable
mission – to champion the practice of art.
Working with London’s biggest exhibitions and the most exciting names in art, you’ll be
joining an award-winning digital team in the world’s leading artist-run art gallery. With a
transformative new extension opened in 2018 to mark our 250th birthday, our vibrant
programme, free displays and sparkling new shops and cafés are welcoming more
people to the RA than ever before. Working across the artistic and commercial areas of
the organisation, you’ll bring transformative growth in our social media following,
develop dialogue and meaningful engagement with our audiences, and boost sales
across our digital channels.
An expert content producer, you’ll be making sparkling posts, stories and videos with
one eye on the analytics, as you shape our social strategy. With experience creating
digital content for prominent brands or publications, you’ll be comfortable working
reactively or creating and presenting social media strategies, using analytics and data to
inform your decisions. You’ll be an expert in the latest social and digital tools and
trends, a passionate advocate for the power of social media, and an enthusiastic
You’ll join a creative, sociable, supportive and hard-working content team, with lots of
room for experimentation and a culture of shared, celebrated success and continuous
improvement. As well as leading the team’s social media creation, you’ll also contribute
to our web content, editorial and non-editorial, and help develop plans for exhibitions
● In line with our award-winning digital content strategy, shape and
implement RA social media strategy, using meaningful content and
conversation to drive growth, making us an art world leader in established
and emerging social networks.
● Lead on social media reporting; develop how we track and report progress
against our commercial and brand goals to share meaningful learnings
across the RA and implement continuous improvement.
● Manage RA social media channels day-to-day; work with the content and
marketing teams to source, commission or create a dynamic and
representative content offer in a range of media (video, gif, audio, written,
● Form part of our wider content team, supporting the RA’s content strategy
across platforms. As well as social media, contribute to website content
when needed, including editorial planning and production, in-gallery
projects and other aspects of digital activity as required.
● Lead social media take-up across the organisation, providing support,
training and leadership in social media, working with colleagues to tell
stories about this unique institution.
Content creation and management
● Act as “editor in chief” of all RA social channels, ensuring an excellent mix of
engaging content from all parts of the organisation to help meet the commercial
goals, brand and mission of the RA.
● Create, commission and edit a wide range of compelling and innovative social
media content (image, video, audio, written, other) to fit the RA’s values of
courage, imagination, generosity, and rigour, supporting the creative and
business objectives of the RA.
● Establish a consistent routine of reporting and sharing learnings for continuous
● Maintain a social media calendar; look ahead to plan content for key
announcements, openings and events, in collaboration with the press and
marketing teams, as well as digital.
● Manage and own our social media publishing platform, managing and expanding
the community of RA users.
● Working with the content team and Marketing Managers, develop and execute
per-exhibition and per-project social plans, ensuring content and debate is in line
with wider comms strategy.
● Manage livestreaming, live tweeting and other major event strategies, with
colleagues from across the organisation.
● Working with our Visitor Services team, manage day-to-day channel monitoring,
listening and responding across the RA, on behalf of the organisation.
● Proactively monitor brand and relevant themes/news stories and provide
suggestions for timely content, assets and conversations.
● Work closely with exhibitions curators, Summer Exhibition team and rights and
reproduction teams to develop strategies around photography and mobile
devices for in-gallery experiences, and drive the integration of online/offline
content and experience (signage, photography etc).
● Build innovative partnerships to extend reach and depth of digital engagement.
● Work with external agencies and suppliers and internal creative and development
staff to contribute to specific social and digital projects.
Social media strategy
● Reporting to the Head of Content, work with the content team to develop the
RA’s social media strategy, driving real engagement between the organisation,
its staff and our audiences.
● In line with our digital strategy, identify and set goals for growth, deepening
engagement, conversion and retention in social content.
● Set standards and strategy for social customer service, implementing tools for
social listening and engagement in relevant teams.
● Contribute to producing and rolling-out engaging and easily accessible guidelines
on our social strategy and its application on our channels, carefully balancing the
needs of our prospective audiences with those of the organisation.
● Evaluate and report on the progress of social media strategy; work with the
content and product teams within digital to develop how we track and report
against digital KPIs, sharing meaningful learnings regularly within the team and
more widely across the RA.
● Work with our CRM Manager to ensure social is a part of the consistent RA
customer relationship experience.
Evaluation and continuous improvement
● Work in an open, flexible and user-centred way, with a ruthless focus on
● Develop and maintain effective evaluation methods, working closely with our
marketing team, audience insight manager and other colleagues to ensure
learnings are continuously employed.
● Have an excellent understanding of SEO and ability to coach colleagues in
effective content creation.
● Feeding in social results to RA-wide evaluation, both ongoing month-on-month
Training and evangelism
● Excite and motivate RA staff to be involved with social media across the
● Provide training sessions and written guidance to staff at all levels and in all
areas of the organisation to develop their social media and digital content
● Work with Royal Academicians and other key representatives to help develop
their social media skills and awareness.
● Engage RA Schools students to harness and develop their digital and social
Skills and experience
● Demonstrable experience managing social media and/or digital content for major
brands or publications, agency-side or in-house.
● Good knowledge of social media tools, trends and technologies.
● Top-class editorial/writing skills; ability to create engaging social media and web
content that’s right for our brand and our audiences.
● Photo-editing and multimedia experience; edit images in Photoshop, make gifs
and ideally carry out basic video edits.
● Experience leading and commissioning others in content creation (this role does
not involve line management, but would require you to manage and co-ordinate
social media content produced by others in the digital team and across the RA).
● Analytics experience; able to use social media reporting and Google Analytics
quickly to show the impact of different content and social activity.
● Strong project management skills, managing internal and external team
members and stakeholders. Able to manage multiple concurrent projects to
deliver on objectives within timeline and process.
● Excellent communication skills – verbal, presentation and written. Ability to work
effectively with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
● Passionate user and advocate of social media; ability to make real connections
with users, inspire the team and our wider colleagues.
● Data-driven approach: always focused on impact, and fluidly making changes to
● Positive, can-do attitude; always willing to go the extra mile to make our content
sing or to help out a colleague.
● Independent worker and self-starter; taking initiative to manage your own time
effectively and prioritise many tasks simultaneously.
● Thorough, detail-orientated: committed to producing excellent content that’s
● Ability to work flexibly in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team.
● Interest in coaching and inspiring others (management experience not required).
● Demonstrable interest in the arts, visual arts ideally; knowledge an advantage.
Art. World. Jobs.