Art. World. Jobs.
We are on the hunt for an Exhibitions Assistant to work with a Blue-Chip contemporary art gallery in London.
The position is to work with the Senior Sales Director, and support them with their busy and varied portfolio. Working across exhibitions and sales, the successful candidate will be able to grow and be exposed to the running of the gallery. Personality fit will be an important factor – the ideal candidate will be upbeat, flexible, resilient, and willing to learn, and will ideally be looking for a long-term position.
The Exhibitions Assistant provides invaluable support to the Exhibitions team but primarily to the allocated Director. The team’s primary aim is to offer professional and practical support to the Gallery artists and their practice. The tasks outlined below predominantly refer to work for and with the Director and their artists but can be extended to the team as a whole dependent on department priorities.
Key daily duties include:
• Work closely with the Director to provide administrative support for current and upcoming projects, exhibitions, art fairs and publications for artists.
• Execution of sales-related activities and paperwork which includes, but not limited to:
o Updating client database
o Preparatory research to support production of sales offers
o Execution of all sales related paperwork, offers, sales forms, invoices, etc.
o Updating database with sales and reserves
o Work on specific strategic projects (e.g. commissions) as required
o Liaising with registrars and technicians regarding deliveries, storage, and/or installations of artworks for clients
• Assist with travel planning and booking and provide remote support when the Director is out of the gallery
• Assisting in the management of production of new works for example, liaising with the artists studio staff, logging costs, processing invoices on gallery database system.
• Process financial paperwork for the Director such as artwork sales invoices, reconciling travel expenses and general administration
• Attend and support gallery events as required.
• Gradually increased liaison with artists’ studios
• Maintain up to date information on artists’ works on the gallery inventory at all times.
• Marshaling client enquiries and handling any requests
• Proofing, amending and uploading content on the gallery website and keeping artists’ biographies up to date.
• Create press packs and other information packs to send to clients, curators, artists etc.
• Research into and updating of contact details on gallery database
• Be responsible for the completion of key team projects
• Complete ad hoc tasks/research as required by the Exhibitions team
• Provide reception cover during lunchtime and as a stand in, as and when required
• Minute taking for meetings as required
• Any additional tasks as and when required
Key skills/highly desirable attributes:
• English has to be outstanding if not first language, desirable to speak more than one language
• Understands and appreciates the importance and urgency of what gallery does and why
• Flexibility, willing to go above and beyond
• Strong art historical knowledge
• Strong academic and writing skills.
• Strong IT skills, preferably also with knowledge of gallery inventory programmes.
• Knowledge of database systems (i.e. Salesforce)
• Positive, can-do attitude
• Passionate and caring, conscientious
• Ability to manage a busy workload and prioritize
• Ability to stay calm when under pressure
• Keen to learn
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills
• Professional and well presented
Looking to begin ASAP.
Art. World. Jobs.